The PIM Alumni (PIMA) (www.pima.lk) is the association of professionals who have completed the Master’s and Doctoral level degree programs at the Postgraduate Institute of Management (PIM) (www.pim.lk), affiliated to the University of Sri Jayewardenepura (www.sjp.ac.lk). The PIMA is the largest postgraduate alumni in the country, with over 2,500 active members who holds MBA, MPA, MCA & PhD from PIM and are at senior managerial positions in both private and public sector organizations.
PIM, established in 1986 by Ordinance under the Universities Act 1978, is one of the six postgraduate institutes in the university system of Sri Lanka. Though it is relatively young, it has the largest student population among the postgraduate institutes, and it is the only self-financing higher learning institution in the university system of the country.
The University of Sri Jayewardenepura, to which PIM is affiliated, is 41 years old. In fact, it is much older if one counts the long years of its history as a seat of learning. The history of the University of Sri Jayewardenepura dates back more than a century to 1873, when Ven. Hikkaduwe Sri Sumangala Nayaka Thero laid the foundation of this distinguished centre of learning as a Pirivena (Institute of Buddhist and Oriental Studies) named Vidyodaya (meaning “awakening of knowledge”).
The alumni of PIM United Arab Emirates are the members of PIM Alumni of those who residing in the United Arab Emirates. The Dubai chapter of the PIM was established in the year of 2007 and had run three years from 2007, 2008 to 2009. The membership of the PIMA-UAE is nearly hundred and runs by an Executive Committee since 2010. The very first Executive Committee of the PIMA-UAE is:
The European Chamber of Commerce of Sri Lanka (www.eccsl.com) was founded in 1996. Its primary objective is to stimulate, strengthen and promote economic and business relations between Sri Lanka and the 28 member countries of the European Union. ECCSL broadly s Neeks to provide, inter-alia, efficient and professional information, and advisory, consultative, promotional and representative linkages between Sri Lankan and European business entities. ECCSL has today emerged as a dynamic association of European and local companies conducting business in Sri Lanka. The quality and scope of commercial interests represented in the membership reflects the consolidation of its strong presence in Sri Lanka.
The ECCSL is governed by a Board of Directors that meets regularly to approve the entry of new members into the Chamber and to decide on proposals, initiatives and activities carried out by the Chamber. The current membership stands at 185 and is growing steadily.
The Ceylon Chamber of Commerce (www.chamber.lk), which was founded in the year 1839 is the oldest business Chamber in the Indian Ocean Island of Sri Lanka. It is also among the oldest in the Asian region. The formation of the Chamber, which is also known as CCC exactly took place on the 25th March, 1839. Led by the British businessmen, who were here in the country at that time, the prime focus was to serve the plantation industry, which was the prime source of the commercial activities of Sri Lanka during that time.
The agriculture based services provided by the CCC to its members, gradually elevated to value added services. Over a period of years, CCC which plays a catalytic role in the development of the business sector, changed its focus on identifying key issues to assist in the development of strategic plans to meet new challenges and opportunities. With the close rapport maintained with the Government sector, the CCC continued to strengthen its role as a channel between the Government and the Private sector.
It was also the first Chamber to be represented in the Senate and House of Representatives in the days of Ceylon, first to be accepted as an affiliate member of Confederation of Asia Pacific Chambers of Commerce & Industry (CACCI) in 1983. A few other services which were the first of its kind to be introduced by the CCC are the issuance of Certificates of Origin in 1925, introduction of e-Cos, Conduct of Commodity auctions (Tea, Rubber, Spices & Allied Products) from 1894, Gem Auctions in1980, services provided by Measurers/Surveyors/Assessors, Arbitration/Conciliation & Mediation services, the first Sri Lankan export exhibition was organized by the CCC in 1973, Initiated the First Export Awards scheme in association with the then Export Promotion Secretariat, Formation of Bilateral Business Councils in 1979, Launching of CSR awards in 2004, (Global Standard One) GS1 which is the world’s most accepted standard for supply chain management – bringing Bar-coding Standards to Sri Lanka and the CCC is the sole authorized body in Sri Lanka to operate the GS1 Standards system.
Moreover, CCC has the unique feature of a Confederation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry, Trade Associations, Regional Chambers, Employer organizations and Bilateral Business Councils in Sri Lanka. The CCC claims this status having formed alliances with 20 Regional Chambers, 38 Trade/Product and Service Associations and 21 Bilateral Business Councils and there are currently 547 corporates are members of CCC.
The National Chamber of Commerce of Sri Lanka (www.nationalchamber.lk) was founded in 1948 soon after Sri Lanka gained independence from British colonial rule, primarily to establish a forum for the Sri Lankan business community. The foremost objective of the Chamber at that time was the Ceylonisation of trade, as the policy climate was not quite conducive to national interests. The Founder Members comprised of all leading ethnic groups, Sinhalese, Tamils, Muslims, and Burgher. In 1955, the Chamber was formally incorporated as a Limited Company. National chamber currently have a membership of around 640 corporates and well over 2,500 SMEs.